Error 80072741 occurs when using Xbox Live on Xbox 360
You see the following error code when you use Xbox Live on Xbox 360:
This may mean the following:
- Some Xbox features are not available because of system maintenance or a temporary Xbox Live issue.
- You can't access some Xbox features because of a network configuration issue.
- There's a problem with your payment option.
To resolve this problem, try the following solutions. If a solution doesn't work, go to the next one.
Solution 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
If you see any alerts here, wait until the service is up and running and try again:
If there are no service alerts, there might be a problem with your connection.
Solution 2: Test your connection
Test the Xbox Live connection on your Xbox 360 console. Here's how:
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Go to Settings, and then System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if prompted.
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection.
- If the test works, you're connected. If it fails and you get an error message, try the Xbox 360 Connection Error Solution.
Solution 3: Delete your profile and clear your cache
- Unplug any accessories attached to your console, such as a headset, the Xbox 360 Chatpad, or the Kinect sensor.
- Delete your profile. See Delete an Xbox Live profile from an Xbox 360 console.
- Clear your system cache. See How to clear the cache on Xbox 360.
- Redownload your profile. See How to download your Xbox profile (gamertag) to any Xbox One console.
- Restart your console.
Solution 4: Open network ports
If you have a firewall or are connected to a workplace or school network, you might need to open network ports for your Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox Live. See the Xbox 360 NAT Error Solution for help opening network ports.
Solution 5: Check your billing address
Make sure that the billing address for your Microsoft account matches the billing address you use with your credit card company. Also, make sure that your card's expiration date hasn't passed. Here's how:
- Sign in to the Payment & billing page with your Microsoft account.
- Select Billing info, and then follow the steps to review your billing information.
Note If there's an error, select Edit profile, and then follow the instructions to update the information.
Solution 6: Update or change your payment option
If you think there might be a problem with the payment option associated with your account, update or change the payment option that you use. To do this, go to Update a payment option online, select either Update a payment option or add payment option on the left side of the screen, and then follow the instructions.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error 80072741 occurs when using Xbox Live on Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?