Edit and share game clips in the Xbox Console Companion app on Windows 10
Make videos and screenshots of your gameplay with the capturing feature in the Xbox Console Companion app, and then edit and share your best moments with friends.
On this page
How to edit your game clips
To create your perfect gaming montage, you can edit clips from your Xbox One and your PC in your favorite video editor.
If all you need is to trim the beginning or end of a clip to focus on the best moment, use the Trim tool in the Xbox Console Companion app.
Then, share your edited clips to your favorite social media, including to Xbox Live through the Xbox Console Companion app.
Trim a game clip
- Open the Xbox Console Companion app, and then select Captures.
Note Editing in the Xbox Console Companion app is restricted to Trim at this time, but it’s perfect for taking just a little off the front and back to focus on one moment.
- Select the clip you want to edit. You can choose from On this PC and On Xbox Live.
- If you chose a clip from On Xbox Live that you haven’t downloaded yet, select Upload.
- To shorten the clip, select Trim.
- Move the left bar to trim length off the beginning, and the right bar to trim the end of the recording.
- When you’re satisfied, select Save copy to finish.
Rename a clip
Game clips are originally named with the game title, the date, and the time so that you can quickly find it, but you can change the name before you share your clip with the world.
Sharing game clips and screenshots on Xbox Live and elsewhere
Game clips (under 30 minutes long) and screenshots of popular PC games and any game available through the Microsoft Store can be shared to Xbox Live. They aren’t automatically uploaded from Windows 10.
- In the Xbox Console Companion app, select Captures.
- Select On Xbox Live.
- Select the game clip or screenshot you want to share.
- Select Share, and then choose where you want to share it.
Note Xbox checks uploaded content for violations of the Xbox Live Code of Conduct. There may be a delay before your clip or screenshot is visible to anyone else.
To share your captures to other social networks or by email, you’ll find the files in the Captures folder, which by default is in your videos folder. To find the files for your captures from the Xbox Console Companion app, select Captures, select On this PC, select the clip or screenshot you want to share, and then select Open folder. File Explorer will open and you’ll see where the clip or screenshot is located on your PC. Then, use the website or app for the social media network to share the clip or screenshot file.
Who can see my clips?
Game clips uploaded to your Activity feed on Xbox Live are visible to people on Xbox Live according to your privacy and online safety settings. To make changes:
- Access your privacy & online safety settings.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Next to See your game clips (Xbox One only), select who you want to share with, whether it’s Everybody or just your Friends, or you can choose to completely Block others from seeing your game clips.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Edit and share game clips in the Xbox Console Companion app on Windows 10" issue you were reading about or a different issue?