Back up your settings on Xbox One
Watch the video Back up your settings. Note This video is available in English only.
Backing up your settings is a great way to simplify setup on any Xbox—whether it’s a new console or your current one (for instance, if you decide to reset it and start over). This saves your account settings and key system settings, which, if you have a new Xbox, will apply during setup.
Backups do not include settings for things that might be different on your new Xbox, such as console name or the ability to control a specific TV.
Create your backup
- Connect a USB storage device to your existing Xbox One.
Note Storage must be USB 3.0 or faster and 256 GB or larger. Make sure it’s designated for use with Xbox One games and apps.
- Open the guide and go to System > Settings > System > Backup & transfer > Back up my settings, and then follow the on-screen instructions to save your backup to your storage device.
Apply your backup to your existing Xbox
If you’re resetting your existing console:
- Connect your storage device to your Xbox.
- Turn on your console.
- Go to System > Settings > System > Console info and choose Reset console.
Apply your backup to your new Xbox
If you’re transferring settings from your existing Xbox to a new Xbox:
- Connect the storage device to your new Xbox before you turn it on.
- Turn on the new Xbox.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If the new Xbox is already set up and you want to configure it using the backed-up settings from your other Xbox, keep the storage device connected and go to System > Settings > System > Console info and choose Reset console.
Want to transfer your Xbox games? See Transfer multiple games at once on your Xbox One.
Backups include settings for:
- Most sign-in and security preferences
- Blu-ray and DVD
- Closed captioning
- High contrast
- Network name and password
- System theme
- My home Xbox
- Most power mode and startup settings
- Xbox app connectivity
- Most broadcast and capture preferences
- Xbox notifications and timing
- Language and location
- Time zone and daylight saving
- Games and apps drive
- Backup and transfer (keep backup current)
Backups don’t include settings for:
- Controller sign-in
- Xbox Live privacy
- App privacy and sign-in info
- Linked social accounts
- Content restrictions (access to content, web filtering, signed-out restrictions)
- Family accounts
- Advanced network settings (IP, DNS, MAC address, port selection)
- Color and background
- Theme and motion
- Console name
- Backup and transfer (storage device, 4K content)
- Network transfer
- Video and audio output
- Accessories app settings
- App notifications
- Game clip resolution and capture location
- Preferred video provider
- Activity feed
- TV and OneGuide
- Game transcription
- Hide from ready-to-install list
- Power settings for external storage
- Profiles other than the one you're using
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Back up your settings on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?