Request an Xbox digital product refund
If you’d like to request a refund for a purchase of digital content, answer a few questions and we’ll provide the correct form for you to fill out to submit your request. Be sure to sign in to and submit your request from the account you used to make the purchase. You’ll need to provide the order number for each item. Order numbers can be found by signing in to your Microsoft account.
For physical Xbox products (such as disc games and controllers) and other Microsoft products, see Returning items you bought from Microsoft for exchange or refund.
How to request a refund
- Sign in to the Xbox Refund Request Solution with your Microsoft account. Be sure to sign in from the account used to make the purchase. If you have multiple accounts, you can check the purchase history on each to find the charge and order number.
- You will be prompted to verify that you are signed in to the correct account and have the order number(s) for this purchase.
- You will then be provided with descriptions of the different types of reasons for requesting a refund, and what additional information is needed to process a refund request. Select the reason you are requesting the refund and review this information carefully.
- You will either be directed to the appropriate self-serve resource, or provided with a link to the refund request form to fill out.
Note If you don’t have an Xbox account, you will need to contact your financial institution for a refund.
How to complete the refund request form
- Enter the name of the product for which you’d like a refund.
- Your name and the email address associated with your account will be auto-filled after you sign in. If you have a preferred contact email address, it can be updated on the form.
Note This will not change the email address you use for sign-in.
- From the dropdown menu, select your reason for requesting a refund. Be sure to choose the same reason you selected in the Xbox Refund Request Solution.
- Provide additional information as required.
- Provide the date of purchase and order number. If you have multiple requests on this account, list all order numbers and dates separated by a comma. To find the order number, you can check the purchase history.
- If there is additional information you would like to provide, use the open text box.
After you submit your refund request
You’ll receive a confirmation email and should get a response from the support team within 72 hours.
- To cancel your refund request: Reply to the confirmation email requesting cancellation.
- If you don’t hear back from the support team within 72 hours: Reply to the confirmation email requesting an update on the status of your request.
- To track the status of your refund request: Check your Order history.
- If you have a question once your request is processed, reply to the decision email.
Note We will respond if we have additional information to provide.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Request an Xbox digital product refund" issue you were reading about or a different issue?