Minecraft for Nintendo Switch FAQ
Note On June 21, 2018, Minecraft was released for the Nintendo Switch. Previous owners of Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition can now download this new version of Minecraft for free from the Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo Switch console.
Please opt-in to sending game error information and help the Minecraft team make the game better. Instructions on how to opt-in to send software error information can be found here.
This page answers frequently asked questions about the new release of Minecraft for the Nintendo Switch. (For frequently asked questions about the older Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, please scroll to the bottom of this page.)
Frequently asked questions for Minecraft on Nintendo Switch
What is the Bedrock version of Minecraft?
The Bedrock version of Minecraft has been the codebase on mobile and Windows 10 since 2012 (also known as our Bedrock Engine). We brought this version to Xbox One with the Better Together Update in the fall of 2017, and it was launched for Nintendo Switch in the summer of 2018.
How is this version different than the one I already own?
Minecraft delivers a united experience to players on all platforms that use the Bedrock codebase. You can build with friends via cross-play no matter what device they’re using, play multiplayer mini-games through Servers*, and customize how you play with community content available through the in-game marketplace.
*Note Servers will be coming to Switch soon via an update.
When did this launch?
Minecraft for Nintendo Switch launched on June 21, 2018.
I already own Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition. How do I get this new version?
Players who already own Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will receive the new version of Minecraft free of charge. Either follow the in-game prompts to download the new version, or find it directly in the Nintendo eShop.
Will DLC content I currently own transfer over to the new version of Minecraft?
All of the existing DLC content will be transferable from Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition to the new version of Minecraft.
What’s a Microsoft account and why do I need it for a Nintendo Switch?
A Microsoft account is optional and not required to play Minecraft on Nintendo Switch. It is a free account you can use to sign in on a device. It allows Minecraft players on Switch to play with other players on non-Nintendo devices like iOS, Android, Xbox One, and Windows 10 (via cross-play, Realms, or Servers). Having a Microsoft Account also enables the portability of your Minecoins and marketplace purchases to other devices and platforms. You can create a new Microsoft account here.
Now that I have a Microsoft account, how do I sign in on my Switch?
- On the Minecraft game home screen, click Sign in with a Microsoft account.
- This will bring up a screen providing you with a unique 8-digit code and instructing you to go to http://aka.ms/remoteconnect.
- Complete your sign-in by following the instructions on this site to enter the 8-digit code.
How do I find my friends on their Microsoft account?
- Once you’ve signed in to your Microsoft account, click Play on the home screen.
- Toggle to the right to reach the Friends tab.
- Click Add Friend.
- Find friends by entering their Microsoft gamertag.
I keep entering my friend’s ID and can’t find them. Why?
Make sure you are entering your friend’s gamertag correctly. Please note that you are only able to enter a Microsoft gamertag as a player ID. Player IDs from other platforms are not supported at this time.
Do I need to pay a subscription fee (like Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate) to play online?
Online subscription fees are determined by the platform you play on, so an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription is not required for Nintendo Switch players, but a Nintendo Switch Online subscription will be required for multiplayer when that service launches. A free Microsoft account is recommended for players to get the most out of this version of Minecraft. (Additionally, Minecraft Realms will be available at an additional cost.)
What is Minecraft Marketplace?
The Minecraft Marketplace is the store which you can find in-game. For the first time, new character skins, textures, and worlds made by creators in the Minecraft community are coming to the in-game store for Minecraft Bedrock platforms. With Minecraft Marketplace, we've made it safer and easier to purchase community-made content for Minecraft. Content purchased while signed in with a Microsoft account can be enjoyed on any device with no expiration.
What are Minecoins?
Purchasable with real currency in the game store and eShop, Minecoins (Minecraft coins) let you buy content from creators in our Marketplace safely and securely. Coins are kept in your virtual wallet and can also be used on Minecraft for mobile, Xbox One, and Windows 10, if you have a Microsoft account.
Do my existing worlds transfer?
Yes, your existing worlds from Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will convert over to the new version of Minecraft. There is currently no way to transfer worlds directly from Wii U, but that may become available in the future.
How do I transfer existing worlds?
To transfer existing worlds from Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition to Minecraft:
- In Minecraft (Bedrock Version), click the button Sync Old Worlds on the bottom of the worlds list in the play menu. This will find any worlds on the device from the Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition and display them below the button.
- Select any of the worlds displayed to convert it to the Bedrock edition.
- After conversion, the world will show up above the Sync Old Worlds button along with the rest of your Bedrock worlds.
To transfer existing worlds from Minecraft: Wii U Edition to Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition:
- Make sure both the Wii U and the Nintendo Switch are on the same wi-fi network and are connected to Nintendo Network.
- On the Wii U, select Play Game.
- In your worlds list, hover over the world you want to transfer and hit X for Save Options.
- Select Transfer Save to Nintendo Switch and hit OK on the popup that appears.
- A Transfer Save progress bar should appear and will sit there while you perform the other half of the transfer on the Switch.
- On the Nintendo Switch, select Play Game.
- Hit Y to Transfer Save from Wii U.
- Select Yes on the popup that appears.
- The progress bar for Transfer Save should appear and start filling as the save data transfers between the consoles.
How big are worlds in this version of Minecraft for Nintendo Switch?
World size is infinite in Minecraft for Nintendo Switch.
I’m playing in a world that was transferred from the previous version. Are there limitations on the size?
Transferring to Minecraft should change the world type to infinite, keeping the portions of the world from the 4J version the same, but generating new chunks outside of that area.
When will Switch get Update Aquatic?
Now! Just dive in. (Pun intended.)
How do I access included content?
The Super Mario Mash-Up Pack is pre-installed with the game. Other included content (Natural Texture Pack, Biome Settlers Skin Pack, Battle & Beasts Skin Pack, Campfire Tales Skin Pack) can be downloaded from the in-game store.
Can my friends on Xbox play the Super Mario Mash-Up?
No, the Super Mario Mash-Up is only playable by Nintendo Switch owners in single player, split screen, local network, and over Nintendo Switch Online.
How do I link my previous purchases on other Minecraft Bedrock versions to my Switch edition?
Log into Minecraft and sign into your Microsoft account. All your content will sync automatically with other purchases you’ve made with other Bedrock versions, as long as those purchases were made while logged in to that same Microsoft account.
I own Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition and I’ve bought previous DLC. How do I get it to sync to Minecraft?
- Log into Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition on your Switch account. This will sync the latest purchases.
- Log into the Minecraft on your Switch and you’ll be automatically granted the entitlements for that DLC.
Note For every purchase you make on the previous version, you must first log into Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, exit, and then launch the new Bedrock version for purchases to sync. DLC purchased within Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will only remain on your Nintendo Switch device and will not carried over into other devices.
Where are Servers and Realms?
Realms is now available on Nintendo Switch by applying the latest game update. Servers will be enabled soon in a future update, stay tuned to our News Channel and other social media platforms to see the newest and latest features.
How do I start a Realm?
- Confirm that you are signed in with your Microsoft account.
- From the Main menu select Play and from the Worlds tab select Create your first realm
- On the Create a Realm menu you can:
- Set the name of your realm
- Set the duration (30 days or 180 days) and player tier (2 players or 10 players)
- The cost varies depending on the option selected for duration and tier and updates in the window live as you choose them
- Click the Create button. Note that a realm is paid for using Minecoins which can be purchased through the in-game store or Nintendo eShop.
Will my copy of Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition go away? Do I have to use the new one?
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition will no longer be available to purchase in the eShop but existing owners can continue to play and re-download if they desire.
*Please visit the Nintendo support site in your region for instructions on how to re-download content purchased from the Nintendo eShop.
Frequently asked questions for Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
How many players can play together on Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition?
8 players when online, 4 players when offline in split screen, and 8 players when in local network play with 1 player per console.
Can I transfer my Minecraft: Wii U Edition world/save?
Yes, visit Transfer Minecraft worlds from Wii U to Switch for more info on how to do this.
Is the world size on Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition different than other consoles?
Worlds on the Nintendo Switch Edition are significantly larger than the worlds in the Wii U Edition.
How do I play multiplayer?
Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch console is a multiplayer game by default. Local players can join your game by attaching controllers and pressing + on the controller at any point during the game.
There are 2 network modes that can be chosen from the main menu by pressing Y, Online Network, and Local Network. Local Network can be used to join other consoles nearby when there is no internet connection available.
When you start or join an Online Network or a Local Network game, it will be visible to people in your friends list, in the Join tab when you select Play Game.
How do I play in split-screen?
Players can join your game by attaching controllers and pressing + on the controller at any point during the game. Up to 4 players can play in split-screen together. You will need either a pair of Joy-Con’s (both Left and Right) per person or a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller per person to play.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Minecraft for Nintendo Switch FAQ" issue you were reading about or a different issue?