Error 80190821 occurs when you try to make a purchase on Xbox 360
You see the following error code and message when you try to make a purchase on your Xbox 360 console:
Can't retrieve information from Xbox Live.
Status code: 80190821
This may mean one of the following:
- There’s a problem with the Xbox Live service.
- There’s a problem with your payment option. For example, your credit card payment may not be authorized, or your credit card company performed security checks on your account before the payment is authorized.
To resolve this problem, try the following solutions.
Solution 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
Solution 2: Test the Xbox Live connection
To test your connection to Xbox Live, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings, and then System.
- Select Network Settings.
- If prompted, select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network.
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection.
- If you receive an error when you test your connection, see the Xbox 360 Connection Error Solution.
Solution 3: Check your billing address
Make sure that the billing address for your Microsoft account matches the billing address you use with your credit card company. Also, make sure that your card's expiration date hasn't passed. Here's how:
- Sign in to the Payment & billing page with your Microsoft account.
- If you don't know your Microsoft account email address or password, use the Lost Account Solution or the Lost Password Solution.
- Select Billing info, and then follow the steps to review your billing information.
Note If there's an error, select Edit profile, and then follow the instructions to update the information.
Solution 4: Contact your bank or financial institution
The purchase might have failed for any of these reasons:
- The credit card has not been activated.
- The credit card was declined due to insufficient funds.
- The credit card is not authorized for online purchases or automatic billing.
- The credit card company is blocking the transaction.
Contact your credit card company or bank and make sure that the card you're using was activated, that it has available funds, and that the transaction is not being blocked for any reason.
Solution 5: Try your purchase again later
The purchase might be blocked for any of these reasons:
- Too many recent purchase attempts were declined.
- The Microsoft account or the payment option is being used from a suspicious location.
- The payment option you provided may have a violation for non-payment that's preventing it from being used for new purchases.
Wait and try the transaction again in 24 to 48 hours. If a number of purchase failures occur, this can prevent transactions from being processed until no purchase attempts have been made for a while (usually 24 to 48 hours).
Solution 6: Use a prepaid card
As an alternative to using a credit or bank card, you can purchase a prepaid Microsoft gift card from a retailer and use that to make purchases. Note that not all purchases support Microsoft gift cards or prepaid options. Before purchasing a Microsoft gift card, make sure that purchase option is available for the item you want to purchase.
Solution 7: Confirm that you are using an approved payment method
You can use Visa, MasterCard, or American Express cards as long as they allow international purchases. Even if your card displays a Visa or MasterCard logo, it is possible that it's not approved by your bank or issuing financial institution for international purchases.
Note Currently, prepaid cards, debit cards, and gift cards (even those with a Visa or MasterCard logo) do not qualify as international cards.
If your credit card is an approved form of payment, try the next solution.
Solution 8: Check the card number, expiration date, card security code, and name on the card
Retype the credit card number without any spaces, commas, or other non-numeric characters. Verify that the expiration date, card security code, and name that you entered are correct and match the information on the card.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Error 80190821 occurs when you try to make a purchase on Xbox 360" issue you were reading about or a different issue?