Remove a family member from your family on Xbox One
The primary purpose of creating a family is to make it easier to manage parental controls and online safety for children. You can manage who’s in your family from your Xbox One console, or from any Windows 10 device.
To remove a family member using your Windows 10 device, see What is a Microsoft family group?
- Any adult in the family can remove another family member. Children and teens are prohibited from making this change.
- When a child is removed from the family, they won’t be able to use the Xbox service until they have been added to another family. See Add a new member to your family on Xbox One.
- Adults removed from the family no longer can manage the child accounts in the family. However, they'll have full rights to their account and will be able to use home console sharing when signed in to the home console.
Security note If there’s someone in your family you don’t recognize, remove them. If you're a child and the person you don't recognize is listed on your account as your only parent, have your real parent contact Microsoft Support.
Remove a family member on your Xbox One
- Sign in with the appropriate account on the console.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select System > Settings > Account
- Select Family settings > Manage family members.
- If prompted, validate that you have the authority to make this change by entering your password or passkey.
- Select the account you want to remove from the family.
- Select Remove <Name> from family, where <Name> is the person’s name that you want to remove.
- Select Remove from family to confirm that you want to remove the family member.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "Remove a family member from your family on Xbox One" issue you were reading about or a different issue?