How to change your Microsoft account password
You can change your Microsoft account password from your Xbox 360 console or online.
Note This page does not cover the steps to reset your Microsoft account password. To reset your password, go to reset your password online.
You might want to change your password if:
- You think someone else might be using your account.
- An online retailer that you do business with had a security breach, and you think you used the same password on your Microsoft account.
- It's been a long time since you've changed your password, and you just want to be safe.
Important Changing your Microsoft account password is slightly different than resetting a forgotten password. Please review the following information before you change your password.
- If you've forgotten your password and know the email address for your Microsoft account, you can reset your password online by verifying your identity using other information.
- If you don't know your Microsoft account email address or password, use the Lost Account Solution or the Lost Password Solution.
- You cannot change your Microsoft account password on your Xbox One console.
How to change your Microsoft account password in a browser
Here's how to change the password on your Microsoft account through a web browser.
Note If you do not know your Microsoft account password, you cannot use the following online steps.
- Sign in using your Microsoft account email address and password.
- On the Home page, under your profile photo and email address, select Change password.
- You may be asked to verify that you are the account owner by receiving a security code via text or email and then entering it on the webpage.
- Enter your current password.
- Create a new password and then confirm it.
- Select Save.
Once you've made the change, you'll receive a notification at your existing "security information" email address or phone number. This is a precaution in case someone else made the change. If that happens, you can cancel the change by following the instructions provided in the notification.
If you do not receive a notification, go to one of the following pages for more information:
If you have not updated your Microsoft account with an alternate email address or contact information for security, or you need to change your security information because it has changed, go to one of the following pages for more information:
How to change your Microsoft account password on Xbox 360
Here's how to change your password from your Xbox 360 console:
- Sign in to your Xbox 360.
- Scroll right to settings and select Account.
- Scroll right to Your Information and select Account Security.
- Select Change Password.
- Enter your current password, enter your new password twice, and then select Change Now.
- If you want to save the password so you can use it to sign in to other Microsoft services, select Yes when you're prompted to do so.
To provide better support, did this solution solve your problem?
Thank you for your feedback
Thanks for your feedback!
Provide feedback for this topic
Would you like to contact Support regarding the "How to change your Microsoft account password" issue you were reading about or a different issue?